The SMSF Association’s Technical Manager, Mary Simmons sat down with Martin Frauenfelder, Director SMSF Regulatory Branch, ATO to discuss the introduction of Director Identification Numbers (director IDs) and how that may impact you, particularly if you have an SMSF with a corporate trustee.
This latest edition of ‘In conversation with the ATO’ covers:
- How you can apply for a director ID and by when;
- The role of the ATO as Registrar to provide, record, cancel and re-issue director IDs as well as refer matters to ASIC;
- What to do when registering a new SMSF or updating the ATO on the appointment of a new director;
- How your director IDs interact with any obligations to notify the ATO and ASIC of changes to director details; and
- What protection is afforded by the Registry in relation to the privacy of your identity as a director.
Our guide, ‘What is a Director Identification Number (director ID)‘, provides some important information about director IDs including how to apply for one and the key deadlines which may apply to you.