Authored by Global X ETFs
Thematics come in a large range of shapes and sizes in the investment world. ETFs can offer a simple and cost-effective tool by which SMSFs can access these themes. But how do you tell the structurally backed trends from the flimsy fads? Distilling down the basics of thematic investing will allow you to generate potential income and growth opportunities.
What are thematic ETFs?
Thematic investing is a waiting game. It involves identifying an idea or trend which has predictable growth potential over the longer-term. These ideas and trends are generally sector and geographically agnostic, change the status quo and are broadly adopted once they come to fruition. Think of things like the internet and personal electronic devices.
Looking ahead, there are a multitude of megatrends you can leverage in your portfolio through thematic investing. For instance, the clean energy transition, net-zero carbon emission targets, adoption of electric vehicles (EVs), semiconductors and technological advancements.
How to use thematic ETFs in your SMSF?
When using thematics in a portfolio, it is best to remember the ‘core’ and ’satellite’ model in which ‘satellites’ function as a smaller, targeted allocation to a specific area of interest. Thematic ETFs can add an element of growth to this portion of your portfolio.
However, not all thematic ETFs are made equal. So, it is important to ask a few key questions before choosing which product is right for your SMSF goals.
Is this thematic backed by long-term tailwinds?
- Avoid short-term fads which may lose momentum quickly.
- Look for structural tailwinds which are backed by structural trends. For example, net-zero carbon emissions by 2050 targets are supported by numerous government policies and international initiatives.
- Consider where opportunities can be unlocked along the value chain. Electric vehicle (EV) adoption in the coming decades will drive demand for critical minerals, so miners and producer of these green metals stand to benefit alongside EV manufacturers.
What is under the hood of this ETF?
- Each thematic ETF tracks a rules-based index which selects a basket of stocks according to specific criteria to best capture a specific trend.
- It is difficult to guarantee any one specific stock will benefit from a trend. In this way, thematic ETFs help to remove single stock risk because you are diversifying your exposure to a trend.
How do you compare thematic ETFs?
- Take into consideration what your portfolio is already exposed to.
- To avoid having multiple ETFs which have too much overlap, be sure to assess; what stocks are in the underlying index, how the stocks are weighted, the geographic spread, whether there are distributions and previous performance (bearing in mind past performance is not an indicator of future performance).
- Management fees can play a role in your decision, but the priority should always be finding the best-in-breed ETF which will maximise your returns over time.
Has this trend already run its course?
- Don’t jump on a thematic bandwagon once its already reached its peak valuations.
- Find value by identifying trends which have a longer lead time. This will allow you to capture more capital growth.
The joy of thematic investing is being able to capture a specific area you truly believe or are interested in. It can open up a world of future-focused opportunities and add a strategic element of growth to your SMSF. Just always remember to keep in mind your risk profile and investment time horizon to make the most of thematic investing with ETFs.
Content provided by:
This document is issued by Global X Management (AUS) Limited (“Global X”) (Australian Financial Services Licence Number 466778) and Global X is soley responsible for its issue. This document may not be reproduced, distributed or published by any recipient for any purpose. Under no circumstances is this document to be used or considered as an offer to sell, or a solicitation of an offer to buy, any securities, investments or other financial instruments. Offers of interests in any retail product will only be made in, or accompanied by, a Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) which is available at www.globalxetfs.com.au. In respect of each retail product, Global X has prepared a target market determination (TMD) which describes the type of customers who the relevant retail product is likely to be appropriate for. The TMD also specifies distribution conditions and restrictions that will help ensure the relevant product is likely to reach customers in the target market. Each TMD is available at www.globalxetfs.com.au.
The information provided in this document is general in nature only and does not take into account your personal objectives, financial situations or needs. Before acting on any information in this document, you should consider the appropriateness of the information having regard to your objectives, financial situation or needs and consider seeking independent financial, legal, tax and other relevant advice having regard to your particular circumstances. Any investment decision should only be made after obtaining and considering the relevant PDS and TMD.
This document has been prepared by Global X from sources which Global X believes to be correct. However, none of Global X, the group of companies which Mirae Asset Global Investments Co., Ltd is the parent or their related entities, nor any of their respective directors, employees or agents make any representation or warranty as to, or assume any responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of, or any errors or omissions in, any information or statement of opinion contained in this document or in any accompanying, previous or subsequent material or presentation. To the maximum extent permitted by law, Global X and each of those persons disclaim all any responsibility or liability for any loss or damage which may be suffered by any person relying upon any information contained in, or any omissions from, this document.
Investments in any product issued by Global X are subject to investment risk, including possible delays in repayment and loss of income and principal invested. None of Global X, the group of companies of which Mirae Asset Global Investments Co., Ltd is the parent, or their related entities, nor any respective directors, employees or agents guarantees the performance of any products issued by Global X or the repayment of capital or any particular rate of return therefrom.
The value or return of an investment will fluctuate and an investor may lose some or all of their investment. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance.